Monday, January 12, 2009

"Is this pineapple?"

Today was all school health screening day at Nolan's school. I volunteered and helped out with the vision screening. The "perk" of volunteering for health day, was a free lunch that you could eat with your child.  I know I haven't ate in a school cafeteria in years, but I thought it would have improved, and when I was in elementary school I always had hot lunch and actually enjoyed it most of the time.  Now, I don't know if it has stayed the same and I just thought it was normal as a kid, but it has definitely NOT gotten better. I had pepperoni pizza which sat on a lovely bunch of french fries.  The pizza was probably some of the worst I've ever ate. I didn't even think of eating the fries cause they looked so limp and squished. It also came with a cup of "pineapple" although it tasted NOTHING like pineapple. So much so that I was asking the kids around me what it was. I asked Nolan to try it and his rule following response was "Mom, we can't share food". It had no flavor, and I love pineapple. It also had an apple juice and chocolate milk... although I don't know why kids would need 2 drinks.  I also asked him if he'd like a drink of my juice and once again I was told "Mom, you can't share drinks either".  He's so funny about rules. Everything is black and white for him... no grey areas.  Anyway, my "lunch" made me really happy that I have been sending Nolan with cold lunch every day. School food is not good. As lunch was ending and the children were being excused, I went to dump my food. I turned around and Nolan was gone. Darn kid went to recess and didn't even say goodbye.  

No comments: