Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Skiing with the kiddos

I know it's been forever since I've updated my blog but I have felt like I should blog our Disney trip and that is just a mountain I haven't been able to climb. Alas, I am skipping Disney and maybe someday will get there.

Yesterday, Poy and I celebrated our 12 year "dating anniversary" by taking the kids night skiing. We have taken them both before and felt like they could move from the little beginner hill to a longer run.  We did a few runs on "Bruno", the easy lift, and then decided to move to the big run.  This was not necessarily the best idea. First, we didn't really know what exactly was open and what wasn't for night skiing.  Second, we couldn't really find any of the "green circle" easy runs, so we ended up on blue (medium level) runs.  Most of the run I held on to Nolan with his skis inside mine and Poy had Sophie in the same manner. The run was not very well groomed because there just isn't that much snow. At one point we had no way to get Nolan to the bottom of quite a steep drop so he had to remove his skis and slide down the slope on his rear! Poy held on to Sophie and went down the hill and crashed...into Nolan! He was fine though :) After that area Sophie and Poy got ahead of Nolan and I. We got moving too quickly and Nolan lost control, knocked me into the splits and he kept going.  He was trying to sit down and stop and as I'm laying in the splits he is going, going and gone, over the edge and into the trees! Yikes! I finally got out of the splits and was able to get to him. I couldn't figure out how I was going to get him out. Poy had to take his skis off and get him out.  Again, he was fine :) We finally made it to the chair lift and made it to the top of the mountain. At this point the kids were in tears cause they were cold and wanted to go home. We had only been there for 2 hours. I was thinking this was a wasted trip, but we decided to go inside and eat and warm up. After warming up and eating we decided to go back to Bruno and to stay there.  We skied for another hour and a half and had so much fun! Both kids did awesome. We were so proud of how well they were doing. We'd get to the top of the mountain and both of them would just ski right down the mountain. Next time we take the kids skiing we will definitely be sticking to the beginner chair. It was much more fun and much less stressful. Anyway, here are some pics of our trip.
Sophie preparing for her ski trip!
Eating in the lodge
Nolan and Sophie with Smokey the Skiing bear
Nolan on the chair with me.
Sophie at the bottom of her first great run!
Nolan at the top of the mountain. He didn't even want to stop long enough to take this pic
Nolan on his way down, all smiles :)

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

That's awesome Court! We can't wait to take Avery. I'll have to call you for some pointers.