Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A visit with friends and a step in the right direction.

Sophie and I made a trip out to Beaverton today to visit my friend Andrea and her 2 year old Nora.  Nora and Sophie played so well together today and gave their mommy's plenty of time to chit chat and we even got a little bit of knitting done.

After picking up Nolan from school the kids had swim lessons.  
This was Sophie's first lesson and I was a bit nervous.   Sophie used to love water and pretty much has no fears.  When we went on our cruise in April she changed her tune.  On our first day of the cruise, actually just a couple hours into the trip, we decided to put our suits on and visit the pool.  The kids were thrilled and couldn't wait to play.  We met up with our friends and were sitting on our lounge chairs watching the kids and visiting with each other. This is what the kids area looked like
We were sitting in lounge chairs a little further then the chairs in the lower right corner of the picture.  The kids were playing, the water is only about a foot deep and everything seemed so safe. All of the sudden I noticed I could see Nolan but not Sophie.  It is not in my nature to panic so I was just scanning the area and looking for her.  

I finally spotted her clear across the "pool" about where the H2O Zone sign is. I start to make my way quickly over there and Anne-Elissa books it through the water. When she got there Sophie was soaking wet.  Not like I've been playing in water wet, but I've gone under water wet. It turns out there was a pool 4 or 5 ft deep where she was at.  When Anne-Elissa handed a very upset Sophie to me and her tummy hit my shoulder a ton of water shot out of her mouth.  I will never know what exactly happened that day.  I don't know if she fell in and was pulled out by someone, or if she fell in and happened to be on the ladder and pulled herself out.  I am convinced I could have easily lost my daughter that day and it changed her view of water completely.  The remainder of the trip she wouldn't go in the pool or the ocean at the beach.  She would totally freak out.  

Today was the first time I have been able to get Sophie into a pool and she went willingly and happily. I am so relieved it won't take years for her to get over this incident.  I still feel guilty about that day, and think about what a tragedy it could have been.  I don't like to dwell on things that happened, or could have happened in the past, but that one is a tough one to forget.

I wish I could post some pictures of today, but sadly my camera is now broken :(  I don't know what happened to it, but the screen is cracked and shows nothing but white light.  I can still take photos, but there is no way to know if the photo is good until it is on the computer.  Just another thing to add to my "wants" list.  


1 comment:

andrea roesch said...

the same thing happened to my camera just a few weeks ago! I had it in my cargo pocket at one of the kids soccer game and all I can guess is that when I was kneeling down to pick up Nora or play, the fabric from my pants stretched across the screen tightly and "broke" the screen. We can only see white as well, and have to pull the pictures off the card to see them :(