Thursday, September 4, 2008

First Day of School & Another Nolan...

So, as you know, Nolan started first grade on Wednesday. It went well.  I drove him to school and saw his classroom for the first time, and met his teacher.  

Nolan and I had a difference of opinion on what he should wear on his first day, but we ended up with a fair compromise.  He wanted to wear a transformers t-shirt and I'm just not that into the character thing, even though he loves them.  I really like the first day of school outfit to give a good impression.  Anyway, so we decided (thanks to grandma's idea) he would wear one of the 5 choices I gave him and character shirts would be worn on Thursdays. I felt like last year he had a lot of nice stuff that he hardly wore since he's just drawn to the character stuff.  Anyway, so he choose a simple GAP t-shirt & I thought he was pretty darn cute.

So, I want to tell a little story about my kids names and my naming philosophy...

When I was pregnant with Nolan I really wanted my child to have a name that was easy to say, easy to spell and wasn't common.  I have said repeatedly "I don't want my child to be Nolan W. or Sophie W." Now, when I had Sophie I knew that her name was a little more popular than I would have liked, but we agreed that we loved it so we accepted that we may hear it somewhat frequently, and we have.  But, let me go back 6+ years... After Nolan was born we took him to his 2 week check and after feeling that I had accomplished my goal of easy to say, easy to spell and not common, the child listed before Nolan on the sign-in sheet was named NOLAN!!  I couldn't believe it. This Nolan was also a baby coming in for his one week appointment.  I got over this fairly quickly knowing that Vancouver isn't a small town, and I doubt I'll ever come in contact with this child again... 
Now we'll fast forward to last year.  I found out part way through the year that there was another Nolan in the Kindergarten class next door.  I don't know why, but I thought that when kids were put into classes  that they would take into account same names and not have them in the same class unless they had no choice. I even considered telling his Kindergarten teacher my thoughts to see that they weren't in the same class.  Well, as I'm sure you've concluded, that other Nolan that I never thought I'd come in contact with is now in my Nolan's classroom and Nolan is now Nolan W. :( I am very bothered by this and there is really nothing I can do. I hate it.

Sophie also started school Wednesday and she had a ton of fun. I must say I am looking forward to 3 hours with just my husband on Mondays and 3 hours to myself on Wednesdays. How awesome! My only conflict is that both of my kids get out of school at the same time... but we've worked it out.  Sophie is going to preschool at Mini School which was established in 1971!  I have met multiple parents that are putting their 2nd or 3rd child through this school, which I thought was pretty telling. Plus, the price is great too :) 


Nolan had a pretty good preschool experience, but he went to a very different style of preschool.  Nolan went to preschool for socialization. He didn't need to learn ABC's & 123's, he had picked up that kind of stuff very early in life.  I have known for quite some time that Sophie would need a more structured learning environment.  And I think I've found a great place for her.

No comments: